
So, in the past few months, several of you who live around the country have gleefully explained to us that in your home state the sky is always blue and the sun always shines. It has caused us to consider careers directly on the equator so we can rub our good weather fortune in your faces for once. Anyways... better get to the point - Elsa and I (Daddy) had a rain or shine pact (common in these parts) to go visit a farm today.

When we awoke, their was a light snow/ice covering on the neighboring house (which is vacant if you want to move in next door - only $475K for a house that needs a complete renovation or you could build the ultra-modern condos that are slated to go there - which would make a lot of sense as we live in a neighborhood built in the early 1900s).

So, through freezing temperatures (and gray sky, despite weather reports - this is why I NEVER look at the forecast... what is the point) Elsa and I braved the treacherous drive north to "the county." Despite the frigid temperatures (31F - that's warm in CO isn't it Kathy?) the trip was an immediate success. There were a bushel, bunch, flock? of beautiful peacocks that greeted us. They obviously thought Elsa was very cute because they walked very quickly over to greet us (or they thought we had food... nah). Anyways, I'm glad the Peacocks greeted us, because I had just broken the bad news that the pig would not be at the farm today - he either goes in for the winter or finds another fate each fall.

Also missing were the sheep, horses, cows, and goats. So, we walked in the general direction of squawking and quacking and discovered the chickens, geese, ducks, and female peacocks (those are the ones that aren't bright and pretty right?). Here is the cool part. The "farmer" who feeds the birds shows up at the same time and Elsa and Daddy got to distribute the food to the birds - cool eh? That's what happens when your the only parent and child willing to brave the elements to visit a farm. We then checked out some bunnies, a tractor, and a big tower. The cold finally soaked through Elsa's "girl gloves" and we headed back to the car. Elsa then experienced the lovely stinging sensation of her body defrosting. Snacks helped.
1 comment:
Elsa Jane, you are a true Northwesterner! When I was living in Illinois as a kid, I always thought my mom was crazy for dragging us out in the rain. She would always tell me that when you live in Washington, you'd never go anywhere if you waited for it to stop raining! =) The fact that we lived in Illinois seemed to mean nothing to her.
We had a very Northwest day here. Overcast and gray... but VERY cold. I think the high was supposed to be 19. Sheesh!
Post a Comment